High Protein Recipe for Enjoying Pizza After Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric Friendly Recipe – Margarita Chicken Crust Pizza
- One pound 95% lean ground chicken breast – (if ground chicken is not available, use 3 small boneless breasts, chopped in food processor)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup freshly shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- ½ cup prepared or homemade pasta sauce
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 or 5 basil leaves, rolled and sliced
- Toppings – sliced tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 450° F and line a baking sheet or pizza pan with parchment paper or foil sprayed with non-stick vegetable cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl combine ground chicken with ¼ cup parmesan, ¼ cup mozzarella, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and ½ teaspoon oregano.
- Place the chicken mixture onto the parchment or foil and pat into flat rectangle or disc. Cover with plastic wrap and evenly press or roll the chicken into a 7x10” rectangle or round. A rolling pin may be used.
- Remove the plastic wrap and roast until golden, usually 12-15 minutes.
- Cover the crust with sauce and top with ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, freshly sliced tomatoes, crushed red pepper flakes to taste and ¼ teaspoon oregano
- Place in oven and cook until melted and bubbly, usually 6-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle chopped basil on top
Adapted recipe from Bariatric Eating at http://www.bariatriceating.com/2015/06/chicken-crust-pizza-margarita-nocarbpizza/